Some of you may have noticed that I recently changed the name of my blog to more accurately reflect my belief system and passion for the practice of functional medicine and nutrition (functionallysimplenutrition.com).
What is functional medicine/nutrition? Instead of recreating the wheel and trying to explain it, I have referenced and taken some excerpts from the leading forces in this generally unknown field of medicine (but DEFINITELY THE WAY OF THE FUTURE!)
You may be familiar with Dr. Mark Hyman who is a pioneer in Functional Medicine, who defines it as;
“the future of conventional medicine–available now. It seeks to identify and address the root causes of disease, and views the body as one integrated system, not a collection of independent organs divided up by medical specialties. It treats the whole system, not just the symptoms”
I have summarized the 5 Principles of Functional Medicine by MindBodyGreen which breaks it down for you here
Here are 5 basic principles that define Functional Medicine:
1) Functional Medicine views us all as being different; genetically and biochemically unique. This personalized health care treats the individual, not the disease. It supports the normal healing mechanisms of the body, naturally, rather than attacking disease directly.
2) Functional Medicine is deeply science based. The latest research shows us that what happens within us is connected in a complicated network or web of relationships. Understanding those relationships allows us to see deep into the functioning of the body.
3) Your body is intelligent and has the capacity for self-regulation, which expresses itself through a dynamic balance of all your body systems.
4) Your body has the ability to heal and prevent nearly all the diseases of aging.
5) Health is not just the absence of disease, but a state of immense vitality.
Interested in learning more or working with me? Simply click HERE to reach out or follow my blog for more recipes and posts rooted in functional medicine nutrition.